Wizard Robes part 1

So you’ve seen the belt, and you’ve seen the mantle, but you’re wondering about those layers of robes underneath? Cool your jets, I’ve got what you’re looking for right here. Today I’m going to show you the sleeveless robe for the fanciest damn wizard you’ve ever met! Now just as a reminder: this first image is the design I started with.

Original Design Sketch

But man, the sleeveless robe sure is all covered up there, and it looks pretty simple and boring. Well, that’s because I was planning on having it be panels of this gorgeous fabric embroidered with tiny mirrors. It didn’t need to have any fancy cut, or applique. Then the fabric got lost in delivery, no less than three times, in four months. Being the impatient creature that I am, I redesigned to use fabric that I actually had access to.

 

The updated design strips away all the outfit’s accessories (other than a belt sash, which is important for spacing) and just focuses on the sleeveless robe.

The sketch on the right was made after I’d picked out my fabrics. The main panels are a light grey velvet with an elaborate vinework pattern. The contrast panels for the sides and middle back, are a dark purple fabric with a shiny zigzag pattern.

Altering the a base pattern to account for all the extra panels of fabric was fairly simple. And I compared having the panels be connected for the full length versus free hanging from the waist [which you can see in one of the following photos].

My pattern modifications on top of the original. I didn’t make my pattern as long as the original, since it’s really just basic rectangles once you get past the waist. I can extend the length of my pattern with minimal use of a yardstick.

All the fabrics that are going to be used in the final robe laid out next to each other. Only some of the panels had been cut out at this point.

Here are all the basic panels tacked together. I ended up liking how the free hanging panels looked when we did our first fitting, so that middle panel has been seem ripped. This way there will be more swoosh when the wizard walks [or flees from the enemy at high speed], and more of the under robe will be visible.

After fitting the basic robe with the wide belt and mantle to get a final measurement for the spacing of the applique, I got started selecting and cutting out interesting shapes to use. For this photo I layered an applique candidate out over the pattern that I’m using for the front panel pieces.

Since the original drafting I’ve decided to abandon the circular neck line and taper from the shoulder to the waist in a diagonal line so most of that right edge of the applique is going to be taken up by that seam.

 

I opted for some flowery top stitching in accent colors. The purple thread turned out more subtle than I expected, but is more clearly pronounced in other lighting than this photo.

 

I also picked a few key points of the applique to apply metallic paint to.

Here’s a quick photo of me trying on the the finished robe over street clothes. It took several tries to get the hems on the neckline and arm holes to lay flat and not poke out of the outfit in that ugly way that frayed edges do.

All that’s left is to make an under robe. My friend and I are debating back and forth about the right materials and cut for it. I’m thinking something silky but light enough to breathe, California is awfully warm most of the year and this out fit has a lot of layers.

Thanks for reading! Please, take a second to support The Crooked Thimble on Patreon!

About Brianalana

is the web-admin for The Crooked Thimble. She designs and fabricates costumes to help dreams come true. She’s a bachelor of psychology, novice programmer, and freelance artist.
Check out her shop on Etsy

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed